Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: Foundations
This presentation will provide a comprehensive overview of FASD. It is intended for service providers that are likely to have individuals with suspected/diagnosed FASD on their caseloads. This presentation will provide information about the effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on the developing brain and impacts throughout the lifespan. Participants will receive an overview of FASD diagnosis and an introduction to the neurobehavioural approach to service provision. Issues related to stigma and barriers to service will be discussed. This training program also provides the perspective of individuals who have FASD or are caring for those with diagnosed/suspected FASD.
This presentation will help participants to understand:
- Impacts of alcohol on brain development.
- Signs and symptoms of FASD across the lifespan.
- FASD diagnosis in Canada.
- A neurobehavioural approach to service provision.
- Promising approaches in FASD.
- Issues related to stigma.
- Barriers to prevention and support.